Is surgical intervention really required before IVF?
It is matter of great debate whether a laparoscopic intervention is really required before starting an IVF treatment. Some clinicians have made it a protocol to conduct laparoscopy in each and every patient which seeks IVF treatment.
Following is my honest opinion on surgery before IVF treatment:
- According to me, Ovarian drilling ‘kills fertility’. So it an honest request that please do not proceed with it unless that is the last resort.
- Fibroids less than 4 cm in size doesn’t require surgery before IVF treatment
- Less than 4 cm endometrioma(chocolate cyst) doesn’t require surgery. Only in cases of extreme pain, surgery should be considered.
- Pre-IVF Hysteroscopy for all it is totally commercialization from some doctors
- Adeno myomectomy is also unindicated surgery.
Only due to some commercial clinicians, surgery has become a norm for infertility treatment. It is absolutely not mandatory unless doctors are unable to analyse the cause for infertility after a thorough analysis.