Why Multiple IUI is not the right treatment option for infertile couples
I am writing this blog to put my view on the fact that multiple IUI is not the right treatment for infertility.
Actually IUI is indicated now a days only in the following conditions:
- Less than 35 years of the age and AMH is more than 2
- Polycystic ovary with no response or under response with a maximum of up to 3 to 4 cycles
- Donor IUI in 0 count where ivf is not possible or affordability is an issue.
- Erectile disfunction cases
- Unexplained infertility where duration of infertility is more than 2y and less than 5 with age less than 35 and AMH is more than 2
- Male subfertility when count is more than 10 million, motility more than 10 % and morphology is more than 4% and DNA fragmentation index is less than 50 percent
So message here is to check the age of the couple, AMH, and semen report in detail and stop IUI attempts at 3 to 4. Then is the time to think about some other treatment.
It is extremely surprising that doctors opt for more IUI attempts( More than 5 attempts) and guide their patients to continue IUI attempts.
It is a matter of concern that doctors commit more than 12 to 18% results in IUI which is next to impossible irrespective of the clinical factors. The same has been backed by evidence based studies globally.